(1) ease of administration for non compliance patients (2) ease of dispensing for pharmacist (3) alternatives route of administrations via various routes and orifices (4) to maximize bioavailability and reduce variability. (5) for fast onset (IV), and Sustained release (tablets). (6) introduces specific dose of a given drug into (or onto) the body in a reproducible manner
What are the reasons for putting drug in dosage form?
(1) assures drug purity and stability (2) assures dose accuracy (3) maximize dosing reproducibility [efficacy]. (4) Maximize bioavailability [scope of availability]
What are the other reasons for drug in dosage form?
(1) increase duration of therapy. (2) provide dilution of potent substance (3) provide homogenous preparations to improve dosing accuracy/reproducibility (4) Protect drug substances from degradation (5) Provide for temporal/spatial dosing
(1) Bioavalaibilty/availability optimization. (2) Stability Optimization and testing (3) Sterilization and preservation
3 things about drug formulation's sterilization and preservation
(1) sterilization by heat or filtration to kill microbia (2) preservation by adding antimicrobia, antioxidant (3) must minimize drug decomposition
3 things about drug formulation's stability optimization and testing
(1) Use accelerated testing to predict long term shelf life. (2) Use inert excipients and prepare drug solutions/mixtures at most stable pH (3) use acceletared stability studies to screen excipients and identify acceptable processing conditions