DMV has published a handbook specifically for senior drivers, how to get this handbook?
1) www.dmv.ca.gov and download a copy of the Senior Guid for Safe Driving (DL 625) OR 2) call 1-800-777-0133 3) go to your local DMV field office 4) contact the Senior DRive Ombudsman Program
List the 4 Senior Drive Ombudsman Program in California with phone number?
1) Los Angeles and Central Cost Counties (310)615-3415 2) Sacramento and Northern California Counties (916)657-6464 3) Orange and San Diego Counties (714)705-1588 4) San Francisco, Oakland & Bay Areas (510) 563-8998
GOOD VISION FOR ALL DRIVERS:
Why do you need good vision?
1) to judge distances 2) see peripherally out of the corner of your eye
You may see clearly and still not be able to judge distances, true or false?
Have your eyes checked every how often?
every year or two
Why is hearing more important to driving than many people realize?
1) sound of horns, siren, or screeching tires can warn of danger 2) you can hear a vehicle but may not see it (blind spots)
Even people with good hearing can't hear well if what is blaring?
radio or CD
Is it against the law to wear a headset or earplugs?
Drivers who are deaf or hearing-impaired can do what and compensate for the loss of hearing?
adjust their driver safety habits by relying on their seeing sense
You may not be able to see hazards or react as quickly when you are rested and alert, list the symptoms of fatigue?
1) difficulty focusing or keeping your eyes open 2) trouble keeping your head up 3) not remembering driving the last few miles 4) drifting between lanes, tailgating, missing traffic signs 5) delayed reaction times or jerky and sudden motions
What can you do to keep from becoming tired on a long trip?
1) get a normal night's sleep before you start on your trip 2) do not take any drugs that can make you drowsy 3) do not drive long hours; try not to drive late at night 4) take regular rest stops even if you are not tired 5) keep shifting you eyes from one part of the road to another. Look at objects near and far, left and right 6) try chewing gum or singing along with the radio/CD 7) roll your window down to get some fresh air 8) alternate drivers
If you are tired a the time and fall asleep often during the day, what should you do?
check with doctor to see if you have a sleep disorder
***Some meds make you drowsy, it is your responsibility to do know the effects of the meds you take, true or false?
Before you decide to drive, what 3 things should you NOT do?
1) mix meds unless directed by your doctor 2) take meds prescribed for someone else 3) mix alcohol with your meds (prescribed or OTC)
HEALTH AND EMOTIONS:
What affects the way you drive?
Do not let your _____ interfere with safe driving?
Use what when you drive?
1) good judgment 2) common sense 3) courtesy 4) follow recommended safe driving rules
What health concerns should you discuss with your doctor and notify the DMV if you have a condition that might affect your ability to drive safely?
1) poor vision 2) heart problems 3) DM 4)epilepsy
CONDITIONS PHYSICIANS MUST REPORT:
Physicians are required to report what? patients > 14 y.o. with lapses of consciousness, Alzheimer's disease or any other medical condition that may affect ability to drive safely
Pages linking here (main versions and versions by same user)