indicate that you may pass if the broken line is next to your driving lane
What do 2 solid yellow lines indicate regarding passing?
indicate NO passing
Never drive to the left of two solid yellow lines, except when?
1) in a carpool lane / High Occupant Vehicle (HOV) lane that has a designated entrance on the left 2) when instructed by construction or other signs to drive on the other side of the road because your side of the road is closed or blocked
When can you turn left across a single set of double yellow lines?
1) to enter or exit a driveway 2) make a U-turn 3) make a turn into or out of a private road
Two sets of solid double yellow lines spaced ___ feet or more apart are considered a barrier?
Do not drive on or over this barrier or make a left turn or a U-turn across it except at?
What do solid white lines mean?
mark traffic lanes going in the same direction, such as one way streets
What do broken white lines mean?
separate traffic lanes on roads with 2 or more lanes in the same direction
What do double white lines mean?
1) indicate a lane barrier between a regular use and a preferential use (carpool/)HOV lane
What should you NEVER do when you see double white lines?
never change lanes while in these lanes (wait until a single broken white line appears then change lanes
You may also see these parallel white lines where?
in or near freeway on and off ramps
How are the lanes labeled?
Number 1 lane is the lane at the most left of "fast" lane
Drive in the lane with the _____ flow of traffic?
If you can choose among 3 lanes, pack which lane for the smoothest driving?
To drive faster, pass or turn in to the ____ lane?
To drive slower, pass or turn in to the ____ lane?
If there are only 2 lanes in your direction, pick which lane for the smoothest driving?
Stay in one lane as much as possible, do not do what in traffic? :weave in and out
Once you start through an intersection, do what?
If you are going through an intersection and are starting to make a turn, what should you do?
Last minute changes may cause what?
If you miss a turn, do what?
continue until you can safely and legally turn around
List the 3 moves that changing lanes includes?
1) moving from one lane to another 2) entering the freeway from an on-ramp 3) entering the road from a curb or the shoulder
Before changing lanes, do what?
1) signal, look in all your mirrors and 2) check traffic behind and beside you 3) glance over your left or right shoulder to make sure the lane you want to clear 3) check for vehicles, motorcyclists and bicycle traffic in your blind spot 4) be sure there is enough room for your vehicle in the next lane
Before you pass, do what?
look ahead for road conditions and traffic that may cause other vehicles to move into your lane
Never drive off on what part of the road to pass?
1) off the paved or main-traveled portion or on the shoulder
The edge of the main-traveled portion of the road may have a painted what color line?
Passing other vehicles at what 3 areas is dangerous?
1) crossroads 2) railroad crossing 3) shopping center
Pass traffic on the _____ (right vs. left)?
Pass traffic on the ______ (right vs. left) when an open highway is clearly marked for 2 or more lanes of travel in your direction and if the driver ahead of you is turning left and you do not drive off the roadway to pass. Never pass on the left if the driver is signaling a left turn
CARPOOL / HIGH-OCCUPANCY VEHICLES (HOV) LANES:
You may use a carpool/HOV lane or on-ramp if your vehicle carries the posted ____ number of people required for the carpool lane or you drive a low-emission vehicle displaying a special ____ issued decal?
If you operate a low emission and / or hybrid vehicle, you may be exempt from all ____ charges on high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes?
Can motorcycle riders may use designated carpool / HOV lanes, unless otherwise posted?
Signs at the on-ramp or along the freeway tell you the minimum number of people per vehicle required for carpool / HOV lanes, true or false?
The above signs also list the days of the week and the hours when the carpool/HOV requirement applies, true or false? :true
The pavement in this lane is marked with a _____ symbol and the words " _____ _____"?
1) diamond 2) Carpool Lane
What does HOV stand for?
high-occupancy vehicle lanes
Do not cross over double parallel solid lines to enter or exit any carpool / HOV lane EXCEPT WHEN?
where there are designated entry or exit places
CENTER LEFT TURN LANES:
Define a center left turn lane?
1) located in the middle of a 2-way street and is marked on both sides by 2 painted lines 2) the inner line is broken and the outer line is solid 3) if a street has a center left turn lane, you must use it to prepare for or make a left turn or to prepare for or make a permitted U-turn
You may only drive for ____ feet in the center left turn lane?
This left turn lane is not a regular traffic lane or passing lane, true or false?
To turn left from this lane, do what?
1) signal 2) look over your shoulder 3) drive completely inside the center left turn lane 4) do not stop with the back of your vehicle blocking traffic 5) make sure the lane is clear in both directions and then turn only when it is safe 6) look for vehicles coming toward you in the same lane, preparing to start their left turn
When turning left from a side street or driveway, do what?
signal and wait until it is safe then you may drive into the center left turn lane and enter traffic when it is safe
TURNOUT AREAS AND LANES:
Special "turnout" areas are sometimes marked on ___ lane roads?
What are turnout areas used for?
to allow cars behind you to pass
If you are driving slowly on a 2-lane highway or road where passing is unsafe and >5 cars are following you, what should you do with these turnout areas?
drive into the turnout area to let the vehicles pass
Freeway lanes, as well as some city lanes, which are ending will usually be marked by what type of lines painted on the pavement?
large broken lines
If you are driving in a lane marked with these broken lines, be prepared to do what?
exit the freeway or for the lane to end (look for a sign that tells you to exit or merge)
SHARED ROADWAY BICYCLE MARKINGS (SHARROWS):
Define what are Sharrows?
1) used to indicate lanes that bicyclists are lawfully allowed to occupy 2) used to assist bicyclists with positioning on a shared roadway 3) alert motorists of the location that a bicyclist may occupy within the roadway
A bicycle lane is a designated traffic lane for bicyclists, marked by what type of line, typically breaking into a dotted line ending before it reaches the corner?
solid white line
How is a bicycle lane different from the simple white line showing the edge of the road?
the bicycle lane follows specific width requirements and is clearly marked as a bicycle lane
What are 3 rules of a bicycle lane?
1) treat a bicycle lane the same as other traffic lanes 2) do not turn into the lane if there is a bicyclist in the bike lane 3) do not obstruct bicycle traffic by reducing the width required for safe bicycle passage (typically 3-4 feet)
When you are making a right turn and are within ____ feet of the corner or other driveway entrance, you must enter the bicycle lane only after ensuring there is no bicycle traffic and then make the turn. Do not drive in the bicycle lane at any other times?
You may park in a bicycle lane when?
1) if your vehicle does not block a bicyclist and/or 2) there is not a "No Parking" sign posted
Drivers of motorized bicycles should use what lane?
bicycle lanes carefully to avoid collisons with bicyclists
Pages linking here (main versions and versions by same user)