57. Non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation and its biological effectsrename
yaboiemil's version from 2016-01-29 20:12
Section1. The spectrum of non-ionizing radiation is 1nm-1mm
2. This contains UV, Visible and Infrared light, with wavelengths of:
|UV||1nm - 380nm|
|Visible||380nm - 780nm|
|Infrared||780nm - 1mm|
3. Light of one wavelength is MONOCHROMATIC,
4. Light of various wavelengths is POLYCHROMATIC
5. Light with photons oscillating in the same phase is COHERENT
6. Light with photons oscillating in different phases is NON-COHERENT
7. infrared light has thermal effects
8. Visible light has key roles in photosynthesis (transforming substance with low
chemically bonded energy (CO2, H2O) into substances with high chemically
bonded energy (Sugars)).
9. Ultraviolet light causes erythema of the skin, and causes tanning. It can also
be used to sterilize things as it is bacteriocidal.
10. Non-ionizing radiation will make an electron jump up to a higher energy level
11. Non-ionizing radiation will make a molecule change electron energy, vibration energy and rotational energy.
|E||Energy of a molecule|
12. Non-ionizing energy can invoke a phytodynamic effect, where the chemical structure of a substance after
exposure to light at a specific wavelength is altered. This can be used to attack cancer cells.