37. Resting Membrane Potentialrename
yaboiemil's version from 2016-01-28 15:13
Section1. Originates by the equilibrium formed by the movement of ions across a semi-permeable membrane.
2. Can be calculated by 3 diff equations.
|Nernst Equation||Assumes membrane is permeable to only 1 kind of ions|
|Donnan's Equation||Assumes there is an uneven distribution of ions due to non-diffusable polycat/anions|
|Goldman's Equation||Calculates the stationary voltage, does not assume a thermodynamic equilibrium|
3. Goldman's is most precise
4. Can be measured directly using a glass microelectrode. The end must be smaller that 1micrometer.
5. It can be filled with KCl or a substance that inhibits some of the ion channels, to test the effects.
6. Attached to an amplifier and then an Oscilloscope to produce an image.