100. Artificial Heart and Lungsrename
yaboiemil's version from 2016-02-03 22:12
Section1. Breathing assist devices assist when breathing is spontaneous but not enough to sustain life.
(This is indicated by O2 pressure in the blood and blood pH)
2. Can replace breathing at Apnoea.
3. There are 2 types of Breathing assist machines:
|Pressure Controlled||Switches Inspiration to Expiration at a set pressure|
|Volume-Controlled||Can set Intake volume, inspiration pressure and breath freq.|
4. Breath Assist Machines can have different amounts of control (total -> just humidifying)
5. A person has 8-24 inspirations per minute
6. Inspiration pressure will not exceed 7kPa
7. A cardiopulmonary bypass has 3 parts
|Blood Pump||A peristaltic pump that will form a pulse in the blood|
|Oxygenator||Removes CO2 in the blood and replaces it with Oxygen.|
|Heater||Adjusts the temperature of the blood to make it the same as the patients body|
8. If the heart is seriously defective and there is no donor heart, an artificial heart can be put in.
9. It consists of some valves made of polyurethane and a pump driven by compressed air
or an electric motor.
10. The motor has to remain on the outside of the body, and is uncomfortable for patients.
11. Often, patients with artificial hearts do not live long
12. It is more common to replace only parts of the heart such as the valves.